Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Step on the Scale

Most of us probably only ever step on a scale during a trip to the doctor. If you are like me, this doesn't even happen annually, but instead only when I'm sick enough to merit the trip. As such, it could be easy for my weight to increase to unhealthy levels without me knowing. Instead of merely having to maintain an efficient weight, a prescription of diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes may be in order.

Stepping on the scale with some sort of regularity could offer a consistent check-in, helping to guard against pounds being added inconspicuously. It could also allow me to more easily make small changes in my eating or activity so as to maintain my weight.

There is little power in only checking my weight every other year, especially as it pertains to trying to remain at a stable level. My clothes may start to feel tight, and I may start to feel overly tired, but these symptoms may go unnoticed or unconnected to my weight gain. Similarly, if I had the goal of losing weight but only stepped on the scale at the beginning and the end of my diet and/or exercise program I would have little to no ability to tweak my eating or working out so as to positively affect my weight loss. I would only have the final mark of either meeting or failing to meet my goal.

The same is true for assessment within a classroom. If all we ever do is offer students final exams or standardized tests, we will have little to no power to make any significant progress in their education. Formative, not summative, assessment must be paramount in the classroom setting, offering to students, teachers and parents a real-time look at the progress of the child toward specific standards.

These formative assessments must be frequent. Wait too long in between assessments and students have no ability to know areas of deficiency or weakness in a timely enough fashion to make the changes necessary to advance on pace.

Just as important as the frequency, though, is the feedback. It must be informative and include what a student is doing well, and those areas in which a student is struggling. In this way it should be both descriptive and prescriptive - what is going well, what isn't and what can be done to improve.

Finally, feedback must be specific. Merely saying, "Great job!" or "Nice try!" does little to offer students, parents or the teacher any real information about what a student needs to do to improve.

Step on the scale more than every other year and you may be more likely to maintain a healthy weight.

Assess more than once or twice a quarter (or year!) and students will be more likely to learn. Offer feedback that is descriptive, prescriptive, and specific and their learning will explode.

Step on the scale.

Assess formatively.

You and your students and their parents...and maybe even your doctor (?) will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment